Friday, July 12, 2013

My Grandma's Ranch Beans (Kind of)

1 lb ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 - 32 oz can of Baked Beans (Use Bush's. Trust me.)
1 - 16 oz can kidney beans, drained
1 - 16 oz can butter beans, drained
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard

Brown and crumble ground beef, onion and green pepper until cooked through. (If there is a lot of grease, feel free to drain it.) Add the rest of the ingredients and cook over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.

Some notes: I am sure that everyone's grandma makes these beans. They are delicious and grandma wants you to be happy. This is my version of my grandma's beans. Her version called for dry onion soup mix, which I took out and replaced with an onion. You can also add a crumbled beef stock cube, but I don't find it necessary. If you are feeling particularly spendy you can add some crumbled bacon. If you have nothing but time, do what my grandma did and toss in to a casserole dish, top with bacon slices and bake for 45 minutes in a 350° oven. You can thank me later.

If you want to make it vegetarian, leave out the meat or use those Morningstar Crumbles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment